Contact Us Today 801-374-5336

E-1 and E-2 Visas

Treaty Trader and Treaty Investor Nonimmigrant Visas

The Department of Homeland Security reports that in 2011, a total of 454,101 people were admitted to the United States on the E category of nonimmigrant work visa. This type of visa is provided for the purpose of facilitating the entry of foreign nationals whose purpose for coming to the United States is to engage in activity that will benefit the economy of this country. It is available to citizens of any of the dozens of different countries with which the United States maintains treaties of commerce and navigation.

An E visa permits the holder to remain in the U.S. for an initial period of up to two years, with the option of applying for an unlimited number of two-year extensions. As a nonimmigrant visa, however, an E visa does not provide the holder with permanent resident status, and he or she must maintain an intention to return to the country of origin at the conclusion of the planned activity. In addition to the primary visa holder, it is also possible for the spouse and unmarried children younger than 21 years to enter the U.S., and the spouse may obtain employment authorization. There are two types of E-visa, including:

E-1 Treaty Trader

The E-1 visa is available to people who are coming to the U.S for the purpose of engaging in substantial trade, principally between the United States and the treaty country. In the context of the treaty trader visa, trade can include international banking, insurance, transportation, tourism, communications and other industries. To qualify, the trade must be of a sizeable and continuing volume. The foreign worker must be an essential employee of the operation.

E-2 Treaty Investor

Treaty investors are people who are planning to travel to the United States in order to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which they have invested a substantial amount of capital. The investment must be irrevocable and must be sufficient to ensure the successful operation of the enterprise. A qualifying investment is one made in a real operating enterprise, rather than a purely speculative investment or holding funds in a bank account. The investment must be one that is expected to generate considerably more income than the minimum that will be required to support yourself and your family. Furthermore, it must be large enough to have a significant impact on the U.S. economy, and you must have control of the funds.

Salt Lake City Immigration Lawyers for E-1 & E-2 Visas

At Keen Law Offices, LLC, we recognize how important it is for you to obtain the necessary type of visa so that you can enter the United States and move forward with your business goals. With more than a decade of experience, our Salt Lake City immigration lawyers are fully prepared to assist you with preparing your application and working to expedite the process. Additionally, we can intervene to resolve any complications that might arise along the way, representing you with the immigration authorities and seeking to protect your interests. Contact us now to discuss your case and to get started on the process.

Sworn To Advocate For Our Clients

“My father was a U.S. citizen, but I was born in another country.” Everyone in the government kept telling me I didn’t belong in the U.S., that I should give up and go “home” to the U.K. Immigration kept trying to get rid of me, and even issued a deportation order. Luckily, I found Keen Law Offices. Mr. Keen was the only person who believed I was a citizen; he fought my case, and after a long battle, Immigration gave in. They even issued me a certificate stating that I was a U.S. citizen since birth!”

Stephen, Immigration Client

39 S 400 W
Orem, UT 84058
(801)-374-0047 (fax)
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 08:00am - 05:00pm