Edward L. Carter received a Juris Doctor magna cum laude from the J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University. He also holds a master's degree in journalism from Northwestern University and a bachelor's degree in communications from Brigham Young University. In 2016 he was awarded a Master of Studies degree in International Human Rights law from the University of Oxford, and in 2011 he received an LL.M. in Intellectual Property from the University of Edinburgh.
Mr. Carter's practice involves representation of clients in appellate matters. Mr. Carter has represented clients in petitions for review before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. He also has drafted briefs to the Board of Immigration Appeals, and he is admitted to practice before the Utah Supreme Court, U.S. District Court for the District of Utah, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Carter has authored or coauthored approximately three dozen published articles in academic journals, including on immigration law issues involving asylum: Edward L. Carter and Brad Clark, “‘Membership in a Particular Social Group': International Journalists and U.S. Asylum Law,” Communication Law & Policy, vol. 12, issue 3 (Summer 2007): 279-312. In 2016 he presented research at an international conference on the refugee crisis that was held at Ansal University School of Law in Delhi, India.
Mr. Carter served as a law clerk to Judge Ruggero J. Aldisert of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in 2003-04. He also served as Lead Note and Comment Editor for the Brigham Young University Law Review.
Area of Practice
- Appellate Matters
- U.S. District Court District of Utah
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Oxford, Oxford, England
- Master of Studies in International Human Rights Law
- University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
- LL.M. in Intellectual Property (with distinction)
- Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, Provo, Utah
- Juris Doctor (Magna Cum Laude)
- Law Review: Brigham Young University Law Review, Lead Note and Comment Editor
- Northwestern University
- Master's Degree in Journalism
- Brigham Young University
- Bachelor's Degree
- Major: Communication
- Major: Communication
- Lorenzo v. Mukasey, F.3d 2007 WL 4111986, 10th Cir., 2007
- Thongphilack v. Gonza, F.3d 2007 WL 3332070, 10th Cir., 2007
- “‘Membership in a Particular Social Group': International Journalists and U.S. Asylum Law” (Co-Author with Edward L. Carter and Brad Clark), Communication Law & Policy, Vol. 12, Issue 3 (Summer): 279-312, 2007
Past Employment Positions
- Judge Ruggero J. Aldisert of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, Law Clerk, 2003 – 2004