Employment FAQ

What kind of visa do I need to start my new job in the United States?

Which visa you will need to start your new job depends on the type of work you will be doing and the nature of your employment. The H-1B visa is a temporary employment visa for professionals with a college degree, and the NAFTA TN visa should be used by skilled workers from Mexico and Canada. Construction, hospitality and landscaping workers should apply for an H-2B visa.

If your job will require lawful permanent residence in the United States (a green card), you will need a different kind of visa. Click here to learn more about the different types of employment visas.

My temporary work visa is about to expire—what should I do?

If your temporary work visa is about to expire, you may be able to obtain an extension or waiver to allow you to continue to work in the United States. If you satisfy all of the requirements, you may also be able to obtain a status adjustment for lawful permanent residency (green card status) that will allow you to live and work in the United States indefinitely. Click here to learn more about applying for a green card.

Do I need my employer to sponsor my green card application?

Having your employer sponsor your green card application is one way to obtain lawful permanent residence in the United States. However, you may also be able to have your green card application sponsored by a qualifying family member; or, in certain circumstances, you may be able to “self-petition” without obtaining a sponsor for your green card application.

I am in the United States on a K-1 nonimmigrant visa (fiancé visa)—what additional steps do I need to take before I can get a job in the U.S.?

Foreign nationals in the United States on a K-1 nonimmigrant visa (fiancé visa) are eligible to apply for permission to work immediately upon being admitted to the United States. Once you get married, you can apply to become a permanent resident (obtain a green card), which gives you authorization to live and work in the United States indefinitely. Even after your K-1 visa expires, you can continue to live and work in the United States while U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) processes your green card application.

To inquire about work visas or employment-based permanent resident status, contact one of the immigration attorneys at Utah's Keen Law Offices, LLC online, or call us at (801)-374-5336

Sworn To Advocate For Our Clients

“My father was a U.S. citizen, but I was born in another country.” Everyone in the government kept telling me I didn’t belong in the U.S., that I should give up and go “home” to the U.K. Immigration kept trying to get rid of me, and even issued a deportation order. Luckily, I found Keen Law Offices. Mr. Keen was the only person who believed I was a citizen; he fought my case, and after a long battle, Immigration gave in. They even issued me a certificate stating that I was a U.S. citizen since birth!”Stephen, Immigration Client

39 S 400 W
Orem, UT 84058
(801)-374-0047 (fax)
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 08:00am - 05:00pm