Contact Us Today 801-374-5336

H-4 Visa

Bringing the Family of Nonimmigrant Employees to Salt Lake City

The H-4 nonimmigrant visa classification is reserved for the immediate family members of certain types of nonimmigrant workers. Spouses and unmarried children are potentially available for this type of visa, provided that the children are younger than the age of 21 years. The H-4 status, also referred to as the dependent nonimmigrant classification, applies to family members of certain types of visa holders, including the:

  • H-1B visa for workers in specialty occupations
  • H-2A visa for temporary agricultural workers
  • H-2B visa for temporary nonagricultural workers
  • H-3 visa nonimmigrant trainee visa

According to the 2011 Yearbook of Immigration Statistics published by the Department of Homeland Security, a total of 155,936 H-category visas were issued in the most recent year for which statistics are available. If you are planning to come to the United States on an H visa, or are working to assist prospective employees to do so, and want to obtain H-4 visas for dependent family members, the team of Salt Lake City immigration lawyers at Keen Law Offices, LLC can help. With more than a decade of experience working in this field of practice, we know how to get results in the U.S. immigration legal system and we are ready to take action on your case.

Employment Options for H-4 Visa Holders in Salt Lake City

Unlike the L-2 visa, which is for the spouse of an L-1 intracompany transferee, the H-4 visa does not allow the dependent family member to work while living in the United States. The spouse or child may, however, obtain a driver's license and open bank accounts. The Department of Homeland Security has recently proposed immigration reform that would allow H-4 spouses to obtain employment authorization, but under the current circumstances this is still not an option.

Due to the restriction on employment, many spouses choose to apply for an H-1B visa of their own after applying with an employer who can act as the sponsor by filing a Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. Our team can assist with the process of applying for H-4 visas, as well as helping H-4 visa holders currently in the United States to adjust their status to H-1B when available. Contact us now to learn more and to get the process started.

Sworn To Advocate For Our Clients

“My father was a U.S. citizen, but I was born in another country.” Everyone in the government kept telling me I didn’t belong in the U.S., that I should give up and go “home” to the U.K. Immigration kept trying to get rid of me, and even issued a deportation order. Luckily, I found Keen Law Offices. Mr. Keen was the only person who believed I was a citizen; he fought my case, and after a long battle, Immigration gave in. They even issued me a certificate stating that I was a U.S. citizen since birth!”

Stephen, Immigration Client

39 S 400 W
Orem, UT 84058
(801)-374-0047 (fax)
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 08:00am - 05:00pm