Contact Us Today 801-374-5336

Criminal Defense FAQ

I received a Notice to Appear from the Department of Homeland Security based on a recent criminal conviction. Is there anything I can do to avoid removal/deportation?

Yes! Among other things, with the help of an attorney experienced in representing immigrants in criminal matters, you may be able to get your conviction modified, reduced or vacated entirely to protect your immigration status. The attorneys at Keen Law Offices, LLC will evaluate your case, do what is possible to address your conviction, and discuss your options as far as seeking cancellation of removal, asylum, or an adjustment of status.

My criminal defense attorney advised me to plead guilty, and now I'm facing deportation based on the guilty plea. What can I do to keep my green card and stay in the United States?

If you were represented by a criminal defense attorney who was not familiar with the complex immigration consequences of criminal charges and convictions, you may have gotten some bad advice. If you received ineffective assistance of counsel, you may be entitled to post-conviction relief to overturn or vacate your conviction. Contact one of the experienced Utah immigration lawyers at Keen Law Offices, LLC today to discuss your options for avoiding deportation.

I'm a foreign national and I got busted for a minor shoplifting offense. Do I need to be worried about my immigration status?

Yes! USCIS and the Department of Homeland Security both treat certain misdemeanors and simple felonies as aggravated felonies and crimes of moral turpitude. If you are charged with one of these offenses, a conviction can result in removal from the United States, a ten-year or permanent ban on returning, and/or loss of eligibility to obtain a green card. You should speak with a competent and experienced Utah criminal and immigration law attorney before you do anything that might impact your future immigration status.

I'm an illegal alien facing deportation. Is there anything I can do to stay with my family in the United States?

Yes! While ordinarily illegal aliens are removed from the United States and subjected to three- or ten-year bans on re-entering the country, the lawyers at Keen Law Offices, LLC may be able to help you obtain an unlawful presence waiver to stay and care for your family. You will need to establish proof of extreme hardship in the event of deportation, and this is best done with the help of an experienced immigration attorney.

Sworn To Advocate For Our Clients

“My father was a U.S. citizen, but I was born in another country.” Everyone in the government kept telling me I didn’t belong in the U.S., that I should give up and go “home” to the U.K. Immigration kept trying to get rid of me, and even issued a deportation order. Luckily, I found Keen Law Offices. Mr. Keen was the only person who believed I was a citizen; he fought my case, and after a long battle, Immigration gave in. They even issued me a certificate stating that I was a U.S. citizen since birth!”

Stephen, Immigration Client

Keen Law Offices LLC
(801)-374-0047 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm