Contact Us Today 801-374-5336

Other Family Members

Seeking Permanent Resident (Green Card) Status for Parents and Siblings of U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens at least twenty-one years of age are eligible to petition for their parents and siblings to become permanent residents of the United States. The skilled family immigration lawyers at the Orem, Utah offices of Keen Law Offices, LLC can help you navigate the complex set of rules and requirements that governs visa petitions for nonimmigrant family members. Don't trust your family's future to inexperienced hands.

Petitioning for Your Parent to Obtain a Green Card

All U.S. citizens seeking to obtain green card status for their parents must file a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130). Beyond the Petition for Alien Relative, the submission requirements vary depending on factors such as:

  • For which parent (mother or father) you are seeking green card status;
  • Whether you were born in or out of wedlock; and
  • Whether you are petitioning on behalf of a birth parent, step-parent, or adoptive parent.

If your parent is already lawfully in the United States, you may also want to file an Application for Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status. Keen Law Offices, LLC will make sure that all of the necessary paperwork gets completed and filed on time so your parent can obtain permanent resident status as efficiently as possible.

Petitioning for Green Cards for your Siblings and their Spouses and Children

The Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) is also the starting point for U.S. citizens seeking assist their siblings in becoming lawful permanent residents of the United States. In addition, Form I-130 can be used to obtain green cards for your siblings' spouses and children as well.

Like the parent petition process, the requirements for seeking permanent resident status for siblings vary depending on personal circumstances. Two of the factors that come into play include:

  • Your legal relationship to your sibling (e.g., step, half, or adoptive); and
  • Whether your sibling has changed his or her name (e.g., through marriage or adoption).

Regardless of for whom you are seeking permanent resident status, the immigration attorneys at Keen Law Offices, LLC will work closely with you to make sure that your forms are completed properly and all necessary supporting documentation is submitted with your petition.

Contact a Salt Lake City Family Immigration Lawyer

Contact Keen Law Offices, LLC to get help obtaining permanent resident status for your family members. Speak with one of our Utah immigration attorneys today at (801) 374-5336 or contact Keen Law Offices, LLC online.

Sworn To Advocate For Our Clients

“My father was a U.S. citizen, but I was born in another country.” Everyone in the government kept telling me I didn’t belong in the U.S., that I should give up and go “home” to the U.K. Immigration kept trying to get rid of me, and even issued a deportation order. Luckily, I found Keen Law Offices. Mr. Keen was the only person who believed I was a citizen; he fought my case, and after a long battle, Immigration gave in. They even issued me a certificate stating that I was a U.S. citizen since birth!”

Stephen, Immigration Client

Keen Law Offices LLC
(801)-374-0047 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm