Contact Us Today 801-374-5336

KLO Blog

Why do I need the I-693 form?

Posted by Christopher Keen | Feb 13, 2024 | 0 Comments

What is the I-693 form?

The I-693 form is required for most green card applicants to prove that they are admissible into the country. There are rules regarding what makes someone inadmissible, outlined in the Immigration and Nationality Act. Someone can be inadmissible on grounds from criminal history, national security concerns health issues, and a variety of other conditions. The purpose of this form is to determine if someone fulfills the health qualifications; health can be ruled out as a concern for inadmissibility. Most people submit this form with their application to change immigration status (their green card application).

Who is required to have the I-693 form?

Almost all green card applicants are required to submit an I-693 form, however there are a few exceptions for individuals who have already completed immigration examinations outside the U.S. in specific situations. One example is refugees applying for status adjustment, one year after their first admission, who completed the medical examination before arriving and have been found admissible. For K-1 fiancé or K-2 child individuals, the I-693 is not required if the medical exam did not find a reason of inadmissibility and was completed prior to admission and the application of status adjustment is within a year of the examination. For Asylee derivative status individuals, and the medical exam was completed somewhere else, did not find a Class A medical condition, and the application for status is one year after the first admission. Afghan national who enter the US under OAW are not required to submit the I-693 if they completed the immigration medical exam without a Class A medical condition, and file for status adjustment within 4 years. 

Where can I go for my medical examination?

For this examination to be valid, it must be completed by a civil surgeon. The USCIS identifies these designated individuals, and more information can be found at: Some of these doctors do not accept insurance, and if they do, there may not be coverage. 

What should I bring?

  • The I-693 form
  • A record of past immunizations
  • Your health insurance card (if you have one)
  • Photo identification such as work permit, license, or passport
  • Information about chronic medical/psychiatric conditions
  • Information about effects of any medical issues or substance abuse on actions
  • Proof of treatment for any health problems such as syphilis or tuberculosis
  • If there are disabilities, a report of your condition
  • Payment for the civil surgeon

What happens in the examination?

The doctor will ask about medical history as well as any history with drugs or alcohol. They will administer a physical examination with tests. The doctor can identify any physical or mental condition which negatively impacts the ability to function normally. 

The Advisory Committee on immunization practices recommends the following vaccines: 

These may be required for your exam. 


What about the Covid Vaccine?

This vaccination is required to complete the examination and sign the I-693 form. The series must be complete (one or two shots depending on the vaccine), and there must documentation of the vaccine provided to the civil surgeon. There is a wavier available if it is against your religion or closely held personal belief, and applies to all vaccines, not specific vaccines. Political or scientific arguments will not be enough. This office has seen an abysmal rate of approvals for those refusing the vaccine despite the waiver.


What should I do with the I-693 form after the examination?

The doctor will give you the I-693 form in an initialed sealed envelope. You will submit this to the USCIS, and it is recommended you do this with your statice adjustment application. This form expires after two years. If you do have a condition which leads to inadmissibility, there may be a waiver option through Form I-601. This process is long and expensive. 


About the Author

Christopher Keen

As the founding attorney for Keen Law Offices, LLC, J. Christopher Keen received a Bachelor of Arts degree in History from Brigham Young University. He then went on to receive his Juris Doctor degree from J. Reuben Clark Law School at Brigham Young University. Since that time, he has been admitted to practice before all of the state courts in Utah.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Sworn To Advocate For Our Clients

“My father was a U.S. citizen, but I was born in another country.” Everyone in the government kept telling me I didn’t belong in the U.S., that I should give up and go “home” to the U.K. Immigration kept trying to get rid of me, and even issued a deportation order. Luckily, I found Keen Law Offices. Mr. Keen was the only person who believed I was a citizen; he fought my case, and after a long battle, Immigration gave in. They even issued me a certificate stating that I was a U.S. citizen since birth!”

Stephen, Immigration Client

Keen Law Offices LLC
(801)-374-0047 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm